27 December 2008

PIPARKAKUT CHRISTMAS BISCUITS

These biscuits are thin, crunchy and very spicy. The sugar content is high so they burn easily, I've found that working with smaller sections easier to handle and I roll them out between two sheets of plastic.

PIPARKAKUT

1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp dark syrup
1\2 cup water
200g unsalted butter
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1\2 tbsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cardamom
zest of one orange
2 tsp baking soda-
(bicarbonate of soda)
4 cups plain flour-
(all-purpose)

Melt sugar, syrup and water in a saucepan.
Place butter, spices and orange zest in a large mixing bowl, add the melted mixture.
Stir until the the butter has melted.
Allow to cool.
Blend baking soda together with the flour.
Quickly mix the ingredients to a smooth dough.
Wrap in plastic and let rest overnight in fridge.
Lightly roll portions of the dough with a rolling pin.
Cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
Place the biscuits on silicon/baking paper.
Bake the biscuits at 200-220 C degrees for 5-8 minutes, middle shelf.
Check the biscuits while baking as they BURN EASILY!

My oven is a little temperamental so I have to stand watch right next to the oven for every batch. So I usually make them at night when it's cool and it helps to turn the tray about half way through the cooking time.
I finished Mum's throw at 1.00 am Christmas morning. This is the first year I've included handmade presents and Mum and Dad seemed to really like them. The colours of the mohair gave her skin a pink glow but not old lady pink. Then on Boxing Day I spent most of the day sleeping and I'm still tired.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the very spicy biscuit recipe. I always swap shelves and turn trays. Sugary and chocolaty biscuits need colse watching, I agree.
We're tired here too, we are having another lazy day.
I am glad your mum liked her gift!!

 
Creative Commons License
This work by wattlebirdies is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.