11 December 2010

ESTHER DEAN'S GARDENING BOOK


 This little book is an eBay find, the book and postage were less than $10.00 total bargain. My first garden bed was a traditional dig \ de-stone \ weed \ feed and it took weeks to complete the soil was so hard there were so many rocks and the grass just kept coming back. That bed now has two sorts of potatoes thriving so it was worth all the hard work.


Then I read Growing Without Digging it sounded to simple, I've seen  no-dig gardens before and they workout to be quite expensive with lots of layers. Esther Dean's bed construction is straightforward and easy.

1.  make a frame, can be anything
2.  layer newspaper 1\2 cm thick
3.  layer with pads of  lucerne hay
I watered at this point as it was a hot day.
4.  sprinkle organic fertilizer
5.  cover with loose straw about 20cm high
6.  sprinkle some more fertilizer
7.  tip a circle of compost 10cm deep & 45cm across 
I used a potting\compost mix  3\4 compost 1\4 potting mix
8.  plant seeds or seedlings in the circle of compost
9.  lightly cover with loose straw and lightly water 


The photo above shows the the circles of compost and seedlings coming through the straw, you don't have to cover the whole bed with potting\compost mix just in the places you want to plant in. So far they are thriving, the seeds have germinated faster and are healthier.
I'm going to make three small Christmas stockings one for the flatmate, one for the Furgus and one for me. Do other people give their fury friends stockings with more than one gift?  here are two fabric choices so far I think Rudolph will be the flatmates and I'm not sure about the hearts I think I'll use the mushroom fabric from my stash for me. Now just have to find something nice for Furgus,  I must be going mad will a cat even notice the pretty fabric? and do I really care.

1 comment:

2paw said...

Stop the gardening, it makes me feel guilty because I haven't done anything about planting anything and I had planned to.
Your garden is looking great, and no digging sounds a fabulous idea!!
Yes, The Labradors and MrsDrWho's kittens get presents. I made the kittens a Christmas stocking and a Christmas 'fish' to hang for their presents. They do care, I like the reindeer!!

 
Creative Commons License
This work by wattlebirdies is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.